On October 12, 2017, Capital Appellate Advocacy founder Larry Ebner participated in a Strafford live webinar, “Strategic Use of Amicus Briefs in Appellate Advocacy.” Larry and two additional highly experienced appellate specialists, Averil Rothrock and Mary-Christine (M.C.) Sungaila, covered many amicus brief-related topics, such as the following:
- What strategic considerations affect decisions on whether to solicit and/or file amicus briefs?
- What are the elements of an effective Statement of Interest?
- What unique considerations should counsel consider at the discretionary review stage versus the merits stage?
- How can appellate specialists, trial counsel and in-house counsel most effectively team on preparation of amicus briefs?
- What special issues are involved when the Solicitor General is invited by the U.S. Supreme Court to file an amicus brief on behalf of the United States?
- How should counsel respond when state attorneys general, law professors, former government officials, or other ad hoc groups participate in an appeal as amici curiae?